As a dog lover with an expansive property, you might likely have thought about having dog containment systems for large areas to allow your dog to roam about easily. This is especially important if you don’t want the expenses associated with building a physical fence. Wireless dog fences have become a popular choice for dog parents who care about their pets’ safety but dread the thought of ruining their home’s curb appeal by raising physical hedges.
Who Needs this Product?
Dogs are constantly in danger of being hit by cars in any home where there is no containment system, especially if such a home is by the side of the road. Besides, they may be hurt or maimed while roaming freely within the neighborhood. You may even not want to expend the money and energy required to build a standard fence. If these are the cases, the dog containment system for large areas could be your best option.
Reviews Of The Best Dog Containment Systems for Large Areas
Below is our review of the best dog containment systems for large areas:
1. PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System, PIF (Best Overall)
The major advantage why we have chosen PetSafe over every other containment system is because of its highly-sensitive radio frequency, which performs better than Wi-Fi. Accompanied with this containment system are few boundary flags you can use to train your dog where and where not to go.
- This containment system comes with sturdy collar fits.
- It has a great receiver along with the collar.
- It is portable and can be carried even when you travel.
2. Extreme Dog Fence Underground Fencing System (Best Runner-Up)
The Extreme Dog Fence is a great choice if you are looking for an underground fencing system. This underground system provides the largest area coverage for your pet. This containment system covers 6 acres, whereas some other above-the-ground fencing systems may not cover up to ½ an acre.
The most important thing about the Extreme Dog Fence is that many of its features have been improved upon; it now offers a completely water-proof and submersible underground system. Although you can extend the warranty period to 5 years by registering, it comes with a 1-year warranty. There is also availability for multi-level corrections while the transmitter can cover up to 25 acres of range.
- Large area coverage of up to 6 acres.
- It comes with a control system, collar, and flags.
- It features about 1000 feet of wire.
3. PetSafe Wireless Dog Fence System with Plug n’ Play Setup (Best for wireless system signal)
Most users like the Wireless Dog Fence System with Plug n’ Play Setup because it is safe, and there is no need to use a fussed wire whenever you need to keep your dog safe. One great feature of this containment system is that it comes with an invisible Wi-Fi system signal, making detection easier.
This wireless dog fence covers a large and long area of space of up to 2 acres. When your dog tries to roam beyond the limit of this wireless fence, it creates a low-voltage shock as a warning while the adjustable collar vibrates. You can use the Plug n’ Play feature in three steps:
- Plugging the receiver
- Adjusting the yard’s radius size
- Allowing your dog to wear the collar.
Besides, this collar can be used for dogs that weigh from 8 pounds and upward.
- It has a vibration simulation of electric shock.
- Comes with a water-resistant collar.
- It has an excellent Wi-Fi signal.
4. Sit Boo-Boo Advanced Electric Fence (Best for its Great Independent Function)
We have chosen the Sit Boo-Boo Advanced Electric Fence because it does not need much of your presence before it starts to perform its function once you have installed it. You have the opportunity to activate a remote option function if you want to control your dog’s behavior. You can use various adjustment settings on this containment system, including sound, shock, and vibrations.
- Sit Boo-Boo Advanced Electric Fence can function well in extremely cold temperatures.
- It has surge protection which has been built along with it.
- It is a sturdy fence made of industrial-grade solid core copper.
5. Earlyhights Underground Electric Outdoor Dog Containment Fence (Best Budget Containment System for Outdoor Roaming)
The Earlyhights Underground Electric Outdoor Dog Containment Fence is a 2-dog system, which may be used by medium and large dogs, especially those that weigh more than 5 pounds. The collar can get fully charged within 2 hours, and your dog can often make use of the fenceless yard for their play.
- It has two collars that can be adjusted to fit your dog even as they grow.
- An advanced system that covers a large space of up to 5 acres
- It has an easy and quick collar charge.
6. SportDOG Brand In-Ground Fence System (Best for Dog Training)
One great feature of the SportDOG Brand In-Ground Fence System is its large wiring range, which can be up to 100 acres. This large wiring will cover a wide area and allow for the easy addition of other dogs into the containment system. There are flags that you can use to mark the territories above the ground, and it contains good instructions on how to install the product.
Another advantage is that you can use it for two dogs that are not over 20 pounds in weight. You will always be warned by this fence system whenever your dog is trying to invade its boundary because it has a distinct boundary challenge system.
- It comes with a water-proof collar.
- Installation is easy.
- It comes with a rechargeable battery made of lithium ions.
7. JUSTPET Wireless Dog Fence (Best Combined Function Containment System)
The JUSTPET Wireless Dog Fence comes as a two-in-one wireless fence and dog training containment system. These combined features make this product have a great shape and stunning layout, making it comfortable to handle. Its accompanying transmitters and receiver are very intelligent when compared with other products in the same category.
Its adjustable collar may be used on dogs of various collar sizes ranging from 7 to 26 inches. Dogs that can use this product may weigh between 10 to 110 lbs because of its sturdy design. The metal point contact has two sets which depend on the fur length and dog size. This metal point contact does not hurt your dog.
- It has a great design and is made from sturdy material.
- The battery is durable and can be easily recharged.
- It has a good water-resistant ability because of its water-proof collar.
- Low battery consumption and power alert.
8. KAROTEZH Indoor Fence (Best for its Adjustability)
The KAROTEZH Indoor fence combines the features of a training collar for dogs and a wireless fence. These features allow easy training of your dogs within the fence system. Besides, you can use the 5 levels of the ultra-long distance adjustment to control the distance your dog can roam. A 500 feet/150 meters wire can expand on a space of about 1/3 acre, thereby allowing you to use the boundary cable to zone your dog. The smart fence uses 6 adjustment levels to operate its 3 functions of shock, vibration, and sound. The collar is suitable for all categories of dogs, whether small, medium, or large.
- Great adjustable neck strap for versatile usage.
- Good rechargeable battery and water-proof receiver.
- It comes with easy-to-use flexible and adjustable training modes.
- It has an excellent ability to control ultra-long distance roaming.
9. Bling Bling Petsfun Wireless Dog Fence (Best Water-proof Collar)
The Bling Bling Petsfun Electric Wireless Dog Fence System is one of the few containment systems that come with a water-proof collar enabling your dog to run in the rain or play with the sprinkler. But this doesn’t mean you can immerse it for a prolonged period underwater. You can always adjust the electric wireless system to your specific need. Another great feature of this containment system is that you do not have to worry about burying any underground wire. You may also easily use the 20 paw marker prints and receiver, including a clicker training device.
- It covers an area of about ¾ of an acre.
- It has two collars which you can quickly interchange when wet.
- The adjustable collar can fit any dog size.
10. Electric Digital Dog Pet Fence (Best for Indoor Roaming)
The main advantage of the Electric Digital Dog Pet Fence is that you can use it to restrict your dog’s movement so that they do not go where you do not want them to go. Although the detection range may be limited, you may enjoy the training you will give your dog about several restricted places within your home as a starting dog owner.
- It comes with an LCD-display which gives utmost sensitivity and accuracy.
- Offers good detection.
- It has between one to six feet range of detection.
- Great convenience using the energy-saving mode.
- Good water-proof feature.
The Buyer’s Guide For Dog Containment Systems for Large Areas
There is no doubt that you might have searched far and wide and wondered about the kind of best Dog Containment System for Large Areas that will fit your home space. You can use several types of dog containment systems, but determining the best choice depends on many features, such as the coverage range of the containment system.
Why Should You Even Try to Use the Dog Containment System for Large Areas?
Several factors come in place when you are considering using any dog containment system. But here are the key reasons why you might need the containment system in your home.
- Easy usability: Many of the containment systems are easy to install and use while also offering maximum protection for your dog.
- They are cost-effective: If you are particularly keen on the stress of installing other physical fences and the costs associated with them, then the dog containment system may be the way to go for you.
- They have adjustable settings and ranges: Since most dog containment systems come with settings and ranges which you can alter, you can easily select the best and suitable option for you and your dog.
- Portability: You can carry most of these containment systems with you whenever you are traveling, and you wouldn’t even need to worry about your dog wandering off from your line of sight.
- Protection: Most of the dog containment systems on our list and many others in the market offer the best protection that any pet owner may be seeking. You wouldn’t need to worry about your dog being hurt or maimed due to wandering off your property.
Factors to Consider Choosing the Right Dog Containment System for Large Areas
Two major factors dictate what type of fencing system you should use for your dog; the kind and size of your dog and your property. However, there are various other features you should consider when you want to get the right containment system for your dog, some of these are:
Topography of property: Ensure that your property’s landscape can easily be covered by a wireless system. Most of its detection waves travel in a straight line. If there is any block like large metal or hilly terrain, you may not be able to use the product perfectly.
- Dog breed: Although there are dog breeds that will quickly learn by the level of your correction and training process provided by wireless containment systems, the same may not be said of other dog breeds. It is usually more advantageous if you take a time-out to study the kind of character and breed your dog is.
- Weight of the dog: Most wireless containment system manufacturers usually state a certain minimum weight requirement on their fencing system. Such requirements are necessary because you wouldn’t want to expose your dog to some electric shocks. Excessive correction may be inhumane, especially when your dog is yet to attain such weight requirements.
- Dog age: For many of these containment systems, there is a minimum required age for your dog. You should avoid using these containment systems on puppies below the age of 6 months. Young puppies do not have the required intelligence to get training yet. Besides, the electric shocks coming from the training method may damage their brain.
- Collar weight: Some collars are heavy, while some are light. A light collar may be your best bet if your dog does not have too much weight since the neck is susceptible to vibrations. On the flip side, a heavy collar may irritate a dog that has little weight.
- The number of dogs: As seen on our list, some containment systems allow only for one or two dogs at most, but there are several other options for a large number of dogs. If you particularly have a large property, you may opt for containment systems that can accommodate an unlimited number of dogs. All you will need to do is buy the best-fitting collars for these dogs.
- Type of battery: Most of the collars that dogs wear run on a rechargeable battery. It is, therefore, necessary that you buy a battery that will last for a longer time but has a shorter recharging cycle. Your best option may be to have a replaceable set of charged batteries.
- Boundary wobble: A boundary wobble defines the extent to which the radio waves from your fencing system can go. Many of these containment systems can go from one to ten feet, so you might not want to buy one which has a larger boundary wobble because it may not be reliable.
- Property shape: Most wireless fencing systems use a circular method to create a boundary for your dog. If your home is sitting on irregular terrain, you may want to consider using the regular in-ground wired fences to have a better coverage area.
- Size of property: Many fencing systems have a stipulated maximum range. Choosing any range that suits you or your dog will indeed depend on the size of your property. The expandable ranges of these fences are linked with the transmitter. These transmitters can easily cover larger areas when you place them at a few distances apart.
Where to Get Your Dog Containment System for Large Areas
You can always go to your nearest pet store to select from the various options of dog containment systems. You can also explore online stores like Amazon, which offers you a broader deal regarding wireless fencing system. If you are still finding it confusing to make your best pick from these fencing systems, we recommend that you talk to your vet or other dog owners who have experience using invisible dog containment systems.
In-ground vs. Wireless Fences: Which Is Better for Large Areas?
You might have seen that the SportDOG Brand In-Ground Fence System is an in-ground fencing system on our list, and it can also serve perfectly for large acreage areas. Other wireless containment systems should also work very well and cover a lot of space within your home.
So, if you are considering which one to go for between an in-ground and wireless option for your containment system, you should know that your choice depends on the distinct situation surrounding your home. However, both of these fences support large acreage.
Below are some frequently asked questions about dog containment systems for large areas, and we have provided answers to set things clear.
How long can I leave the training flags?
You use the training flag as a means to let your dog know the exact boundary limit he should not cross. Many of these fencing systems recommend that you should leave these flags for a minimum time of two weeks. However, depending on how fast your dog can undergo training, you can leave it for up to 30 days.
If it is the first time for my dog in the fence system, should I leave it off or use a leash?
Your dog will have an entirely new experience as you introduce the containment system. We recommend that you leave your dog on a leash while also guiding him to a safe zone until he gets used to the containment system.
I hope the correction static won’t hurt my dog?
Many dog containment systems use a mild correction static, which gives a slight feeling of shock. That way, your dog can know that he is not supposed to pass the boundary. These correction statics will not cause any pain or injury to your dog but will instead train him on the exact perimeter he should roam within your home.
Now that you have the list of the best dog containment systems for large areas, you may choose Wireless Dog Fence System with Plug n’ Play Setup because of its quick detection range.
Still, you can consider the PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System because of its ease of use, quick installation, and large area coverage. However, all other containment systems we featured also offer some unique features particularly distinct for the type of property on which your home stands. Next time you decide to buy a containment system, simply consider its benefits to you and your dog with respect to your property.